Andrew E. Mize
I entered the practice of law to obtain justice for people from all walks of life who have been harmed by the malice or carelessness of others, or who have been wrongfully accused. I believe that we each have the duty to use the means within our power to rectify injustice where we see it, especially when the vulnerable are victimized by the powerful.
Andrew E. Mize joined BS&J in 2021 and concentrates his practice in areas of complex civil litigation, including class actions, labor law and administrative law. Mr. Mize has more than a decade of experience in the fields of personal injury litigation, education law and special education law, in civil rights law, including 42 U.S.C. § 1983, and in misdemeanor and felony criminal defense. Mr. Mize has represented clients in state and federal court at the trial and appellate levels, with a singular focus on obtaining the best results for clients. Prior to joining BS&J, Mize was a partner at Gordon & Mize, LLP, in Louisville, Kentucky.
Mr. Mize graduated cum laude from the University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law in 2011, where he was a member of the University of Louisville Law Review. During law school, he was a member of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and the National Lawyers Guild, and spent his summers interning with the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Centre College in 2008, with double majors in government and history, and double minors in international studies and political economy. While in college, he was a member of Beta Theta Pi.
Mr. Mize lives in Louisville, Kentucky, with his wife, who is an accountant. His interests include history, shooting sports, art, the outdoors and travel.
Areas of Practice
- Civil litigation (class actions, labor law, personal injury, education and special education law, civil rights, administrative law matters)
- Appellate practice
- Criminal law
- Labor law
- Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, J.D, cum laude, 2011
- Centre College, B.A., 2008
- Culver Military Academy, 2004
- Kentucky, 2011
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, 2012
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2019
- Obtained reversal of District Court grant of summary judgment to defendant school board and employees in case involving disability discrimination of a child from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Clemons v. Shelby Cty. Bd. of Educ., No.19-5846, 818 Fed.Appx. 453 (6th Cir. 2020)
- Favorable resolution of medical malpractice action involving plaintiff injured during gynecological surgery, resulting in significant damages
- Highly favorable resolutions in numerous cases involving minor students injured at school due to negligence supervision, including bullying and discrimination
Professional Honors and Activities
- Kentucky Bar Association
Presentations, Seminars and Published Works
- When Lady Justice Sought her Sight: Judicial Selection in Kentucky in Light of Recent Trends and Carey v. Wolnitzek, 50 U. LOU. L. REV. 383 (2011).