J. Gerard Stranch IV
Gerard Stranch is the managing partner at Branstetter, Stranch & Jennings, PLLC (BS&J). His areas of practice include complex litigation — involving class actions, anti-trust, ERISA, mass tort, securities and shareholder derivative actions — as well as labor and employment and personal injury. He leads the firm’s class action, complex litigation and mass tort practice group.
Mr. Stranch has served as lead counsel for the firm in numerous cases, including the steering committee of the In re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, which has resulted in approximately $17 Billion in settlements, making it the largest consumer auto settlement and one of the largest settlements in any matter ever. He was co-lead counsel In re: Alpha Corp. Securities Litigation (securities suit), resulting in a $161 million settlement, and lead counsel in Lankford v. Dow Chemical (consumer protection class action), which resulted in $4.2 million settlement. He also helped obtain a $590.5 million settlement while serving on the executive committee in Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners (anti-trust), and served as liaison counsel in In Re: Regions Morgan Keegan Closed‐End Fund Litigation, resulting in a $62 million settlement. He also was appointed to the Plaintiff Steering Committee for the In re: New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. Products Liability Litigation MDL and is the lawyer in charge of coordinating all litigation arising in Tennessee. More than $230 million in settlements have been obtained on behalf of the victims of the New England Compounding Pharmacy and every Tennessee case has been resolved.
In addition, Mr. Stranch has handled multiple voting rights issues and ballot access cases, including successfully defending the Democratic National Committee in a lawsuit which sought to keep President Obama off the Tennessee ballot.
Mr. Stranch was recently appointed as class counsel for the negotiation class in the pending multi-district national prescription opioid litigation (MDL 2804) in Cleveland, Ohio. He is also lead trial counsel in Staubus v. Purdue Pharma. Et. Al, which is currently the first jury trial against opioid manufacturers to be scheduled in the U.S.
A 2000 graduate of Emory University, Mr. Stranch received his J.D. in 2003 from Vanderbilt University Law School. In addition to clerking for BS&J during law school, Mr. Stranch interned at the Juvenile Public Defender’s office in Nashville, and helped protect the rights of Tennessee children under the Bryan A. settlement at the Vanderbilt University Juvenile Practice Clinic.
Mr. Stranch is an adjunct professor at Vanderbilt University School of Law, where he teaches on the practice of civil litigation. He also serves on the executive committee of the Class Action Trial Lawyers Association. He has been named a National Trial Lawyers Association Top 40 Under 40 and a Super Lawyers MidSouth Rising Star.
Mr. Stranch lives on the farm on which he was raised, which is located 20 minutes outside of Nashville. He enjoys watching his two sons explore the farm like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, like he did as a child.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Class Actions and Complex Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Mass Tort
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2003
- Emory University, B.A., 2000
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- In re: New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. ($230 Million in settlements), 2017
- In re Anthem, Inc. Data Breach Litigation ($115 million), 2017
- In re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation (approximately $17 billion in settlements), 2016
- Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners ($590.5 million settlement), 2015
- In re: Regions Morgan Keegan Closed‐End Fund Litigation ($62 million settlement), 2013
- In re: Alpha Corp. Securities Litigation ($161 million settlement in a securities fraud suit), 2008
- Lankford v. Dow Chemical ($4.2 million settlement in a nationwide consumer protection class action), 2005
Professional Honors and Activities
- Super Lawyers MidSouth Rising Star
- Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers Association
- Public Justice
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Tennessee Association for Justice
- Lawyer’s Coordinating Committee of the AFL‐CIO
- General Counsel Tennessee AFL-CIO and Federal Appointment, Coordinator
- General Counsel Tennessee Democratic Party
- National Trial Lawyer
- Board of Directors, Cumberland River Compact
- Class Action Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Board of Governor’s Tennessee Association for Justice
Presentations, Seminars and Published Works
- Mr. Stranch regularly speaks at conferences on issues ranging from in-depth reviews of specific cases to developments in the law, including in mass torts, class actions and voting rights.
- Mr. Stranch is one of the founding members of the Cambridge Forum on Plaintiff’s Mass Tort Litigation and regularly presents at the forum.